PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I have to say that Ed Ipp is one cool kat! I always enjoy our texting chat sessions and Ed is a great guy to work with! As we were preparing for our first photo shoot together{with me doing hair and makeup}, Ed asked me what kind of foundation I use? On one of his last sessions the client had gotten her makeup done by a local salon and the makeup was looking flaky in the shot. No matter how he lit the shot, the foundation was not holding up. "I airbrush Ed"! The response I got back was "fabulous!" With airbrush i never have to worry about the foundation holding up under lighting or for hours and hours into a reception. After that, I had to send Ed a few questions of my own! ..... don't forget that YOUR special surprise it at the bottom!


Ed, take me through a photo session?
A "session" starts when we get the booking on the calendar.  I insist on speaking with my clients over the phone or even meet in person when possible so I can get to know what they are looking for, their likes and dislikes, and most importantly overall expectations.  I also try to do as much “recon” as I can on my client before the session so I can pre-visualize their session.  For example, if I can see pictures of my clients before the session, I can study their facial and body structure and think about what I can do to make them look their best.  During our initial consultation, we also talk about the clothing they plan to wear during the session.  If time permits, it is not unusual for me to buy new props or backdrops that I think go with their personality.

On the day of the session, we generally start with hair and make-up.{hopefully Faces by Joy}  Every session follows the same structure, but I really go out of my way to tailor each session to my clients' needs and all that comes from the initial consultation and pre-visualization.

I ask all clients to bring an MP3 player preloaded with their favorite music to help them relax and jam to during the session.{how fun!} I also keep light snacks and beverages in my studio to keep the client's energy level up --  right this minute, I have coke, coke zero, sprite, bottle water and variety of snacks on hand, and am more than happy to take special requests to make the session more enjoyable for my clients.  When the situation warrants, I have an assistant spotter, who helps with posing and catches hair, jewelry and wardrobe malfunctions.{nice!}

What kind of camera do u use?
I am a Nikon guy.  I've been shooting Nikon since the early 90s beginning with film, so a transition to Nikon digital cameras was a no brainer.  However, I feel making my clients look good is beyond having a good camera and lens.  The camera only knows how to take a picture, but lighting, posing and post processing techniques after I click the shutter is separate a snapshot from a memorable image.

How long does it take to get my photos?
I try my very best to have proofs ready within 3 - 5 days.  Depending on the time and day of the session and my workload, I can sometimes make them available the next day.  I am not a fan of waiting for anything so I try to keep a short wait for my clients as well.(super!}

How did u get started?
I started photography when I was 5; I disliked having my photos taken as a child so I found every excuse to wrestle the camera from my parents.  But really, my talent blossomed in college.  I stepped away from photography for awhile to focus on other things (i.e. pay the bills) but am back with a vengeance – you can’t fight it your passion.{been there!}

What is your photo specialty?
My specialty is making people look good.  My style translates really well with pageant and aspiring model clients.  I also really enjoy working with high school seniors, couples, and families.  Since I use artificial light (i.e. flash) in my workflow, I can make people and color pop!  Event photography is a great strength of mine due to my ability to relate and see the moment before it happens.  I also don’t mind running around and getting dirty.  I have done everything from a split (yes, I can actually do one) on the ground to stand on a chair to get the perfect shot!

Drum ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!


Any special offers for my readers?
Absolutely!  Anyone that finds and likes Ed Ip Photography on Facebook, and mentions this blog (must post it to the wall), will be entered to receive a $20 Starbucks gift card!  Contest ends 3/31/11. No purchase necessary!

And for those reading this blog right now – here is something special for you:

Spring portraits  -- $79 for a 30 minutes session and they will receive (2) 5x7 professional prints.  This is ideal for families, couples and boudoir style sessions.  Must be booked by 3/31/11.  Central Virginia residents only, unless booked for the studio.

Free Senior Session -- A free session, that's right FREE session for 1 high school junior/senior if you mention this blog.  First one to call (804-482-1347) wins.  Session must be completed by 5/31/2011. (Value: $150).   Central Virginia residents only, unless booked for the studio.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EdIpPhotography
My site: http://www.edipphotography.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment